LOCAL NEWS

2-Year-Old Burned By Pressure Cooker After Contents ‘Exploded’

Oct 8, 2018, 7:08 PM | Updated: 9:32 pm

BURLEY, IDAHO – A 2-year-old Idaho boy was burned by a pressure cooker that his mom said “exploded” just as the toddler ran into the kitchen, causing severe burns all over his little body.

The incident happened two weeks ago inside the family’s Burley, Idaho home. Two-year-old Chayse Bodily suffered burns over 14 percent of his body.

Chayse’s mother, Angela Bodily, said the energetic boy was back to his normal self – running and dancing around the house like any toddler would. It’s a big deal, considering the severe burns he suffered.

Travis Bodily(left) encourages Chayse to put basketballs through his small basket. It’s a part of his therapy in getting him to raise his arms to make sure the skin in his upper body heals properly.

Angela Bodily said she was preparing a roast dinner in a pressure cooker.

“I reached up to grab a cup, because I was going to get some drippings for gravy,” Angela explained. “Then it was just like a bubble formed and a bomb went off. It just went ‘Boom!'”

Just a moment before, Angela says Chayse had run into the kitchen.

“It just poured all over him,” she said. “I (saw) him slipping in it, and covered in it.”

Chayse’s father, Travis Bodily, immediately ran over to help.

“I grabbed him and took him into our bathroom,” Travis said. “I (tried) to get him under the water, but he’s two, so he was not cooperating and he was hurting.”

Chase Bodily dances to music playing on his mother’s phone.

Angela said at that moment, she saw just how bad the burns were.

“The skin was just sliding off his body,” Angela said. “It was the scariest thing to see your child’s skin, coming off his body.”

Chayse and his mother were flown to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, where he ultimately spent 12 days undergoing treatment.

“For the first three days, we cried,” Angela said. “It was really hard.”

“It was hard to see him like that,” Travis added.

Angela Bodily said she was still not sure what went wrong with the pressure cooker. She said she has had plenty of experience using them in the past.

“I loved them. Absolutely loved them,” Angela said. “I used them all the time. I don’t know if I can ever use one again.”

Speaking to KSL, Angela urged other parents to be careful – both with pressure cookers, and around the kitchen.

“You’re in a hurry. You’re trying to make dinner. You’re trying to multi-task, because our lives get so busy,” Angela said. “Always be aware of where your children are.”

Angela Bodily shows where her pressure cooker was when she says liquids inside burst as she opened it.

The Bodilys continue to take Chayse in for regular outpatient treatments. Their family has set up a fundraising page to help with the costs.  https://www.gofundme.com/ue9spt-baby-chayse

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

(Zoë Petersen, Deseret News)...

Hanna Seariac, Deseret News

Washington County attorney says no evidence of a candidate acting inappropriately in signature gathering

Washington County Attorney Eric Clarke also said there was no evidence of a candidate or the company acting inappropriately. He said he was looking into the matter to do his due diligence and build public trust.

6 minutes ago

Traffic was backed up on Interstate 15 near milepost 285 Saturday evening following a felony stop o...

Mark Jones

Kidnapping suspect arrested near Point of the Mountain

The Utah Highway Patrol says a kidnapping suspect has been arrested Saturday evening near the Point of the Mountain. 

1 hour ago

With wildfires starting to pop up around the state, Stage 1 fire restrictions are now in place in s...

Alex Cabrero

Stage 1 fire restrictions now in place for southern Utah

With wildfires starting to show up around the state, Stage 1 fire restrictions are now in place in southern Utah as announced Friday by the Bureau of Land Management. 

2 hours ago

Highway 128 covered in mud after a severe storm swept through Grand County on Friday. (Grand County...

Kyle Remund, KSL NewsRadio

Cleanup begins after severe storm in eastern Utah

The Grand County Sheriff’s Office issued a statement earlier Saturday detailing both the damage caused by the storm and the efforts of first responders because of it.

3 hours ago

FILE: Two crop dusting airplanes collided near an airport in southern Idaho on Thursday, June 20, 2...

Associated Press

2 crop dusting airplanes collided in southern Idaho, killing 1 pilot and severely injuring the other

Two crop dusting airplanes collided near an airport in southern Idaho on Thursday and crashed to the ground, killing one of the pilots and leaving the other with life-threatening injuries, officials said.

4 hours ago

A small town in France dedicated a memorial to a crew of a B-17 Bomber killed during World War II. ...

Alex Cabrero

Memorial dedication in France for Utah man killed during WWII

On Saturday, a small town in France dedicated a memorial to a crew of a B-17 Bomber killed during World War II. The plane was shut down 80 years ago to the day near the town. One of the soldiers honored was Utah resident 2nd Lt. John "Jack" Lundberg.

4 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

2-Year-Old Burned By Pressure Cooker After Contents ‘Exploded’