Body Recovered Above Aspen Grove Believed To Be Missing Hiker
UTAH COUNTY, Utah — Searchers recovered a body Tuesday evening believed to be that of a hiker missing since mid-September.
Utah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon said searchers on board a Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter first spotted the remains believed to belong to 36-year-old Jake Routt Tuesday afternoon, and the body was eventually lifted down just before 7 p.m.
“This is about as technical as it gets from a difficulty standpoint,” Cannon said. “They’re flying in areas within 20 or 30 feet of sheer cliff walls from the end of the rotors, so there’s a lot of risks there.”
Cannon said the body was located in thick brush at an elevation of roughly 9,000 feet, which is higher than where searchers had previously looked.
Routt was believed to have been missing since Sept. 16, when his phone last pinged to an area near the Aspen Grove trail on Mt. Timpanogos.
A Facebook post Tuesday evening from Routt’s family members expressed confidence that the body belonged to their loved one, but they declined an interview through a sheriff’s spokesperson.
The remains still had to be positively identified by the medical examiner, Cannon said.
Investigators said the cause of death remained uncertain.
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16465)
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8845)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8387)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7811)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6345)