Utah Solutions Summit Educates Students On Opioid Epidemic
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Teens and local leaders took part in the fight against opioid addiction at the Utah Solutions Youth Summit Friday morning.
The students from schools across the state gathered at Vivint Smart Home Arena to hear from state leaders, be entertained by live musicians, and listen to those affected by the opioid epidemic.
The morning session of the Utah Solutions Summit, now in its fifth year, included performances from Foreign Figures, Matt Butler and Lexi Walker. It also featured appearances from Court McGee, Jim Wahlberg, Eric Kjar and more.
The speakers shared stories of their own battles with opioid dependency, and the students saw how serious the epidemic is as families held up photos of loved ones lost to overdoses.
The Beehive State is seventh in the nation for the highest drug overdoses; an average of six Utahns die each week from opioids.
However, the problem is nationwide. After marijuana and alcohol, prescription drugs are the most commonly misused substances by Americans ages 14 and over.
“I feel like one of the great things about Utah is we are not afraid to talk about a problem,” said Kristen Adams, a teacher at Westlake High School. “We are not afraid to recognize what it is and figure out solutions. Maybe we take an unconventional approach to putting a name on things and bringing attention to it, but I think I love that we are not afraid to talk about hard topics.”
Watch the full session here:
- Herbert, State Leaders Holding Emergency Meeting After COVID-19 Spike (pageviews: 12174)
- Body Camera Video Released In Shooting Of 13-Year-Old With Autism (pageviews: 3848)
- Family Of Ogden Hiker Missing Since Sept. 8 Asking For Public's Help (pageviews: 2282)
- Ogden Woman Dies In ORV Crash In Uintah County (pageviews: 2262)
- Dr. Angela Dunn Speaks At TEDx, Addresses Utah COVID Case Spike (pageviews: 2127)
- Missing Idaho Hiker Found Dead After 1,000-Foot Fall (pageviews: 2038)
- Governor Herbert Renews Utah State Of Emergency (pageviews: 2030)
- Meet Our Team (pageviews: 1954)
- Search Continues For Missing Hiker In Weber County (pageviews: 1553)