Utah Solutions Summit Educates Students On Opioid Epidemic
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Teens and local leaders took part in the fight against opioid addiction at the Utah Solutions Youth Summit Friday morning.
The students from schools across the state gathered at Vivint Smart Home Arena to hear from state leaders, be entertained by live musicians, and listen to those affected by the opioid epidemic.
The morning session of the Utah Solutions Summit, now in its fifth year, included performances from Foreign Figures, Matt Butler and Lexi Walker. It also featured appearances from Court McGee, Jim Wahlberg, Eric Kjar and more.
The speakers shared stories of their own battles with opioid dependency, and the students saw how serious the epidemic is as families held up photos of loved ones lost to overdoses.
The Beehive State is seventh in the nation for the highest drug overdoses; an average of six Utahns die each week from opioids.
However, the problem is nationwide. After marijuana and alcohol, prescription drugs are the most commonly misused substances by Americans ages 14 and over.
“I feel like one of the great things about Utah is we are not afraid to talk about a problem,” said Kristen Adams, a teacher at Westlake High School. “We are not afraid to recognize what it is and figure out solutions. Maybe we take an unconventional approach to putting a name on things and bringing attention to it, but I think I love that we are not afraid to talk about hard topics.”
Watch the full session here:
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 15557)
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 12470)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9294)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 6279)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6040)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5879)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5783)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 5356)