D.A.R.E. Program Steps Up Curriculum For Utah Students
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – On the heels of the Utah Solutions Summit, the Utah D.A.R.E. Program announced Tuesday a new curriculum to enhance the current program in the fight against opioid addiction.
D.A.R.E’s new curriculum for students K-12 will focus on opioid and over-the-counter prescription drug abuse prevention. It will include lessons for each grade level, such as who to call in case of an emergency, medicines that help and medicines that hurt, and the opioid and heroin epidemic.
Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes made the announcement at the Capitol Building, calling it an exciting new chapter for D.A.R.E and the fight against opioid abuse.
Currently there are only 100 officers who teach D.A.R.E., and more than 70,000 students went through the program last year. Starting Tuesday, 20 additional officers will begin training to teach. A Spanish curriculum is also in the works.
According to D.A.R.E, every day more than 115 Americans die after overdosing on opioids. Experts project it will increase by 19 percent annually, calling opioid abuse America’s new deadly crisis.
However, according to the DEA, Utah is one of the few states that has seen an 11.9 percent decrease in overdoses over the last 12 months.
- Vandals Go On Rampage At West Jordan Church, $50,000 In Damages (pageviews: 20013)
- Team Manager Left Out Of Cheerleading Photo In Shoreline Jr. High Yearbook – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10432)
- Team Manager Left Out Of Cheerleading Photo In Shoreline Jr. High Yearbook (pageviews: 9156)
- Cataract Canyon Without Lake Powell: A Monumental Legacy Of Dried Mud (pageviews: 6650)
- Improperly Stored Household Batteries Blamed For Taylorsville Garage Fire (pageviews: 5710)
- Utah Father Busts Would-Be Burglar From Taking His Car, Puts Suspect In Headlock (pageviews: 4018)
- Massive Millcreek Construction Site Fire Causes Millions In Damages (pageviews: 3492)
- UDOT Opens New Section Of Mountain View Corridor From 4100 South to SR 201 (pageviews: 2863)
- Vandals Cause Estimated $50K Of Damages At West Jordan Church (pageviews: 2812)