Former Roommate Of Slain University Athlete Feared Worst
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The University of Utah Campus was quiet Tuesday after classes were canceled following the shooting death of 21-year-old student athlete Lauren McCluskey.
A friend and former roommate, Seran An, said she had a gut feeling the text alert received campus-wide Monday night had something to do with her friend after McCluskey told her about Melvin Rowland.
“The first time, in one glance, I read the description about that guy,” An said. “I kind of felt like my gut was telling me it can’t be something related to her. I found out some of our friends called me and tried to figure out what’s happening.”
The roommate said a couple of weeks ago McCluskey opened up to her about Melvin Rowland, who they knew as “Sean.” She said McCluskey was trying to stay away from Rowland after learning he lied about his age and had a criminal history.
An said the two had met at Salt Lake City restaurant London Belle, where the alleged shooter worked as a security guard for Black Diamond Security.
McCluskey’s mother released a statement Tuesday that described how her daughter had blocked Rowland’s number after discovering his criminal history. She stated her daughter had also complained to the university police that he had been harassing her.
“When I got the alert, I was so scared if I called her she was maybe hiding somewhere,” An said. “So I couldn’t do that right away, but I tried to reach her.”
Counseling is available for students, staff and faculty on campus. Another campus resource available is the Victim Survivor Advocacy group. For more information visit advocate.wellness.utah.edu or visit their Twitter account, @uofuwellness.
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds (pageviews: 12230)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 7508)
- Utah woman killed, one person injured in Nevada crash (pageviews: 5653)
- Teen trying to save another swimmer drowns in Deer Creek (pageviews: 5638)
- Utah couple gets hit with sky-high surprise air ambulance bill – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4110)
- 5 planets take center stage as they align in the night sky (pageviews: 3222)