Man Charged With Pointing Rifle At Neighbors, Threatening To Kill Them
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A Utah man was facing aggravated assault charges after police alleged he pointed a rifle at his next-door neighbors and threatened to kill them.
Prosecutors filed charges against James Edgar Booth for two, third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault in connection with an incident that occurred on the afternoon of October 8 at his home on 800 South near 840 West in Salt Lake City.
According to the charging documents, video showed the 27-year-old, “exit(ed) his home holding a black rifle near his right side.”
The probable cause statement went on to say that Booth’s neighbors told investigators that he pointed the gun and said, “I’m going to shoot you all back to Mexico.”
INTERVIEW: “This is our country, too” NEXT at 5pm on @KSL5TV hear from a woman who says her next-door neighbor threatened them with a rifle and used racial slurs. Charging documents state the suspect said, “I’m going to shoot you all back to Mexico” @KSL5TV @KSLcom @kslnewsradio pic.twitter.com/H8MdwI8KhD
— Ladd Egan (@laddegan) October 31, 2018
“It was awful. It was horrible,” said Susan Naeata. “He came out with the rifle and he pointed it at my niece.”
Naeata said she, her elderly mother and niece witnessed what happened.
“He would just kept going off, ‘This is my town. This belongs to the white American people,’” Naeata said.
Booth initially told police he was holding a black guitar stand, but officers with the Salt Lake City Police Department told prosecutors that after receiving a search warrant, they found four rifles and ammunition inside Booth’s home, and that, “the rifles all looked the same or similar to the one Booth was seen holding in the video.”
Naeata said the derogatory racial terms left an impact on her family.
“It really hurts me inside,” she said. “There’s so many racial issues out there. You see, it’s always, ‘Go back to Mexico. You don’t belong here. This is our country.’ Guess what? It’s my country, too. I was born and raised here.”
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)