Body Found in American Fork Canyon Believed to be Missing Trail Runner, Officials Say
AMERICAN FORK — Authorities have located the body of a trail runner who went missing on Halloween, officials said Saturday.
Search and rescue crews found 28-year-old Derrik Jenkins in American Fork Canyon just before 2 p.m. Saturday, officials confirmed.
It was not immediately clear exactly where he was found.
Volunteers and officials had been looking for Jenkins, of Pleasant Grove, since Thursday when he was reported missing from work.
Jenkins was last heard from about 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday when he parked his car at the Granite Flat Campground near Tibble Fork Reservoir to go for a run, according to Utah County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Spencer Cannon. He was expected back on Wednesday evening, but never returned, authorities said.
Volunteers searched for Jenkins Saturday morning with binoculars and telescopes near Box Elder South Peak in American Fork Canyon, according to a Facebook post about the search.
At least 40-50 people had searched in the area Saturday, according to Cannon. Two helicopters and a plane had also assisted.
Crews took advantage of weather conditions Saturday that were clearer and more favorable than on Friday, Cannon said. He said search and rescue crews had found lots of tracks in the area, but could not confirm that any of the tracks belonged to Jenkins.
Jenkins was in the area to continue his goal of reaching 100 unique peaks in the Wasatch Front this year, according to his friend. Jenkins was about 15 peaks away from reaching that goal Wednesday, and some of his friends believed he was aiming to reach Box Elder Peak or Silver Lake Peak when he went to the area on Wednesday.
A vigil is scheduled for Jenkins on Saturday evening at Tibble Fork Reservoir, according to a Facebook post.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7248)
- Surveillance video shows moments just before FrontRunner train fatally hits woman (pageviews: 6434)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to 'tithing settlement' (pageviews: 5770)
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine (pageviews: 3609)
- Murray awards bystanders and workers for saving woman (pageviews: 3453)
- UPDATE: Police finds missing girl, safe and reunited with family (pageviews: 3124)