Utahns Receive Text Message About McAdams: ‘You Won’t Be Excommunicated’
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – On the day before Election Day, some Utah voters — and Utahns who aren’t old enough to vote — received a controversial text message apparently in support of Ben McAdams.
McAdams, a Democrat, is running for the 4th Congressional District seat against Republican incumbent Mia Love.
Love on Sunday tweeted a screenshot of a text message her daughter reportedly received.
“Just when I thought this election cycle couldn’t get worse, my 15 year old who can’t even vote got this while at church,” she wrote. “This is inappropriate.”
Just when I thought this election cycle couldn’t get worse, my 15 year old who can’t even vote got this while at church. This is inappropriate. pic.twitter.com/CtF2lCJC7p
— Mia Love (@MiaBLove) November 4, 2018
The message, which appears to be a mass text, reads: “The Independent Republicans of Utah want you to know: you won’t be excommunicated for voting for Dem Ben McAdams – he’s the best Republican in the race.”
In a statement, the McAdams campaign said the text did not come from them or anyone affiliated with them.
“As an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mayor McAdams respects the church’s long-standing neutrality in political races and would never imply their involvement in this race,” wrote Alyson Heyrend, McAdams campaign communications director.
It’s unclear who sent the messages, and there does not appear to be an official website for a group called The Independent Republicans of Utah.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)