What You Need To Know Before Voting
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – With Election Day in sight, there’s a lot of information to sift through. Here’s what you need to know before voting Tuesday.
What is at stake?
The midterm elections will help decide who controls the House and the Senate.
Those elected to the house serve two-year terms, which means all 435 seats will be decided Tuesday. Senators serve six-year terms, so not all senate seats are up for grabs.
In Utah, Republican Mitt Romney, Democrat Jenny Wilson, Libertarian Craig Bowden, Constitution Party’s Tim Aalders and unaffiliated Reed McCandless are vying for Orrin Hatch’s position.
Before you vote
Be prepared before heading to the polls, and make sure to do your homework.
It’s up to voters to educate themselves on the candidates, propositions, questions and constitutional amendments on the ballot. For a sample ballot, go to Ballotready.org and enter your address and city. It will show you everything you’ll be voting on along with corresponding information.
Before heading to the polls, make sure you have your ID. If you’re not registered, you can do so at your polling place.
Where to vote
Most polling places in Utah are open between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m., and they close between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Enter your information at vote.org to find your polling location and the hours of operation.
It could take hours and, in some cases, weeks to get the final results. It all depends on how tight the races are.
You can watch the results as they come in on KSL TV or the KSL TV app, or check back on KSLTV.com where they’ll be posted.
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 12077)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 8131)
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 6707)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 4895)
- 'Laverne & Shirley' actor Cindy Williams dies at 75 (pageviews: 3897)