Police Release Body Cam Footage In Millcreek Officer-Involved Incident
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Salt Lake City Police Department on Friday released body cam video of what they called an officer-involved critical incident that happened at the beginning of November.
The incident took place at a gas station located at 3300 South and 1100 East in Millcreek.
SLCPD officials said an officer was responding to a call Nov. 3 when he ran the license plate of a car that turned out to belong to 36-year-old Robert C. Ortega. After running the plates, the officer learned Ortega had an active felony warrant for aggravated sexual abuse of a child. Salt Lake Police said in a press conference Friday that Ortega had been released from prison and had violated his parole.
In the video, the officer can be seen approaching Ortega inside the gas station, but there is no audio.
As Ortega exited the gas station, the audio kicks on and the officer can be heard asking Ortega, “You wanna get tased?”
“No, I’m not doing anything!” Ortega shouts.
The officer then told Ortega to sit down, but Ortega didn’t comply. He then ran away to his vehicle and away from the officer.
The officer then asked Ortega if he wanted to “get shot.”
A struggle ensued, and at some point at least one shot was fired from the officer’s 9-millimeter Glock, officials said.
Ortega took off in his car and was later arrested Nov. 5.
Multiple agencies are now looking into the incident, including the Unified Police Department and the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- 2 killed in separate Utah Co. crashes; 1 injured after hitting school bus in Clearfield (pageviews: 5683)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)