Man Arrested In Woman’s Death Released From Jail; Charges Still Possible
NEPHI, Utah – A man believed to have been involved in the death of a Sandy woman last month, is out of jail, as the investigation into the woman’s death continues.
A family friend who joined in the search for Jan Pearson-Jenkins on October 13th, found her body in a remote area of Juab County near Eureka.
The discovery ended a search that began days earlier, after the Sandy woman was last seen with 42-year-old Cody Young.
Young, who was being sought by police in her disappearance, was found later that day near Yuba Reservoir and arrested.
“We know there is a deceased individual, but we want the expertise and the final report from the medical examiner’s office to help us make that final determination of the charges,” said Juab County Sheriff Doug Anderson.
“He plead guilty as charged a week or two ago. The judge released him at the request of the defense. I objected to that,” said Ryan Peters, Juab County attorney.
Peters says if the autopsy results support charges in Jenkins death, Young can be prosecuted.
Young had sent a text message to her brother, saying the two had an argument while camping and he had left her behind, leaving her family believing he bears some responsibility for her death. Her brother said the family is very anxious for the report from the medical examiner and still hope they will see justice in Jan’s death.
Young was released wearing a GPS ankle monitor and is required to remain in Utah until he is sentenced in January.
The van the two were camping in remains in custody as potential evidence.
“We want to be able to give as much accurate information back to the family as we can; and we want an accurate, and a complete, and a thorough resolution of the case,” Anderson said.
Anderson believes a final report from the medical examiner will be available in a few weeks.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)