Hogle Zoo Announces Deaths Of Two ‘Elderly Residents’
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Hogle Zoo on Wednesday announced the deaths of two geriatric animals — a gray wolf named Glacier, and a bobcat named Tukut.
Both the animals exceeded life expectations by many years, according to Hogle Zoo.
The average life expectancy for a wolf is eight years, and Glacier was 12, almost 13. He had been at Hogle Zoo since 2009.
“He was a very sweet wolf,” said keeper Janice Thompson. “He had a very calm nature about him. Any time we fed him, we’d get stopped by lots of guests with questions. They were always so excited to see him. Glacier was a special wolf and was very loved by all the keepers. We’ll miss him.”
Bobcats are expected to live between 12 – 13 years, and Tukut lived to be nearly 23 years old.
He was receiving senior care for years as the zoo animal care team monitored his condition closely.
Tukut came to Hogle Zoo in 2002 from The Living Desert Zoo in Arizona.
“We sort of joke Tukut is a ‘gateway cat,'” said lead keeper Lindsay Renner. “He was the first foray into taking care of cats for many keepers. Often cats are aloof and do their own thing, but Tukut would always perk up when a keeper walked by. He was happy to see you.”
He was reportedly a crowd favorite because of his loud purr.
“You could hear his purr from outside the enclosure a few feet away,” Renner said.
“Both animals were watched over closely by animal care and veterinary staffs,” according to Hogle Zoo. “Both were humanely euthanized after demonstrating declining health.”
A media release from the zoo noted the deaths were unrelated but do have old age in common.
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 17916)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16520)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8565)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7815)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6068)