New Bill Lowers Amount Borrowed For Prison Construction
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Lawmakers passed a bill related to costs of the new state prison during a special legislative session Monday.
Instead of borrowing the money, the new bill appropriates $235 million in surplus funds for the construction of the new prison.
Lawmakers said the state’s revenue was considerably higher this year than in the past, so they no longer need a bond.
Of that surplus, $67 million will go toward the 2019 costs, and $168 million will pay for costs in 2020.
The new estimated cost for the prison is now $700 million.
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch (pageviews: 12560)
- Live (pageviews: 6781)
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6738)
- Flood watch over popular Utah recreation areas Sunday (pageviews: 4740)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 3594)
- At least 2 injured after semi hauling beehives tips on I-80 (pageviews: 3326)