VIDEO Shows Police Shoot Knife-Wielding Man in West Wendover
WEST WENDOVER, Nevada – Police shot and killed a man who they said led them on a brief chase and then pulled out a knife.
The incident happened around 12:45 PM Saturday along Wendover Boulevard. Lieutenant Kevin McKinney of the Elko County Sheriff’s Office said a man in a truck nearly hit a West Wendover Police officer’s cruiser.
McKinney said the officer tried to stop the truck, but the driver would not stop.
He said the man led police on a short chase that ended when he crashed into another vehicle at a Chevron station. He said the man got out of the truck and started to run away.
A witness to the incident shared a video with KSL that shows a man covered in blood holding a knife to his throat and backing away from officers as they tell him to get on the ground.
Video shows three officers following the man for a couple of minutes before he appears to raise the knife and walk toward one of the officers, who fires five shots, killing the man.
The Elko County Sheriff’s Office will investigate the shooting. In a press release, West Wendover Police said the mental status, motives, and actions of the man will be part of that investigation.
“We’re reviewing all the body camera video, the in-car video cameras, trying to gather all the information we can regarding what actually happened,” McKinney said.
McKinney said the officers who were involved would be put on leave until the investigation is finished.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)