Sandy Neighbors Seek Man Caught On Surveillance Video Stealing Christmas Decorations
SANDY, Utah — Neighbors and police were asking for help Wednesday to identify a man they said has been stealing Christmas decorations off of porches.
Surveillance video shows the man wearing a distinct winter cap and glasses approaching Jon Miller’s house early Monday morning, briefly glancing at what turned out to be a surveillance camera, and then removing three metal decorations that were hanging from the eaves.
“He gets the wire cutters out and tries to cut it and then decides that’s not going to work, puts the wire cutters away,” Miller play-by-played as he watched the video. “(He) comes back with a snow scraper, starts lifting them off with snow scrapers, takes him a couple minutes to do that, takes him a couple minutes to do that, puts them in a bag and walks right off.”
Miller said he believed as many as six houses on Brighton View Drive were hit by the same man.
A little bit up the road, Teri Furlong and Jacki Frame said several of their decorations had been stolen and vandalized.
“You feel violated a little bit that somebody has the nerve to come up on your porch and take your things,” Furlong said.
Frame said among the decorations stolen from her property were large tin ornaments, smaller white ornaments, snow flake lights, a garland, plugs and a timer.
She estimated the theft and damage cost her between $800 and $1,000.
“We’re hoping they’re enjoying it, right?” Frame quipped. “Can we be invited to their house for the party?”
Furlong said she had decorations cut down, and estimated her loss at around $500.
The homeowners hoped somebody might recognize the man and turn him into police.
Anybody with information was asked to call the Sandy Police Department at 801-799-3000.
“It’s just kind of sad that someone needs to come and do this and ruin your Christmas spirit,” Frame said.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5415)
- Locations of 6 international temples released (pageviews: 4509)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 3865)
- Police confirm no shooting has occurred at Granger Elementary School; school evacuated (pageviews: 2338)
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 2300)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 2293)