Man Orders Drone On Amazon, Gets USB Wristband Instead
HERRIMAN, Utah – A Salt Lake County man was caught off guard when the drone he paid over a thousand dollars for came in the mail in a small envelope, in the form of a USB wristband.
Herriman resident Jaxon Desmarais made a Christmas list, and right at the top was a DJI Phantom 4 Pro professional drone. He’d been searching for one for a couple months and on Black Friday, he found what he thought was a great deal.
“I went on Amazon and there was a drone on there – the one I’ve been looking for. (It) was $1,065 – no tax, no shipping,” said Desmarais. “I thought that was a great deal.”
The drone he found was about $300 cheaper than anywhere else, and the third-party seller had great reviews.
“I looked at the seller reviews beforehand and they were all 96 percent, 4 or 5 stars, verified seller, and I think…this is great for me,” said Desmarais.
So Desmarais bought the drone and two weeks later his package came, in a very small envelope.
“I tear into this and I open it and there’s just this USB wristband here,” he demonstrated. “It’s kind of crazy.”
Inside the package was a black, USB bracelet with a printed message saying to call a phone number for a 25 percent discount – but no phone number. Not exactly a DJI Phantom 4 Pro.
“This is not what I ordered. This is a little 50 cent thing,” said Desmarais. “Obviously this isn’t worth $1,100.”
He’s not the only one who has allegedly been scammed. KSL checked out the seller, Super-Savings. In just the past week, there were nearly 500 new negative reviews all saying the same thing.
- “Instead of getting my new $300 camera I received a plastic USB bracelet.”
- “I ordered a Macbook Air and received a USB bracelet.”
- “This seller is a complete scam.”
“It’s good to know I’m not alone,” laughed Desmarais. “I hope that Amazon starts screening their third party sellers a little bit better so that the customer doesn’t have any issues or doesn’t get scammed out of thousands of dollars.”
An Amazon spokesperson talked to KSL.
“Customers are always protected by our A-Z Guarantee. If ever the product doesn’t arrive or isn’t as advertised, customers can contact our customer support for a full refund of their order,” they said.
Amazon also reached out to Desmarais and said he will be refunded immediately. The company has not commented about the seller specifically, or answered questions about whether or not they will be removed from the site.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5415)
- Locations of 6 international temples released (pageviews: 4509)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 3865)
- Police confirm no shooting has occurred at Granger Elementary School; school evacuated (pageviews: 2338)
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 2300)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 2293)