Man Started Fire In Home While Officers Were Outside, Police Say
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — A man was arrested after police say he started a fire in his house while police were outside the home interviewing someone else early Saturday morning, according to an affidavit.
Omar Juarez, 29, was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail on suspicion of aggravated arson, criminal mischief, interference with an arresting officer and intoxication, jail records state.
Officers responded to a report of a verbal argument at a residence located at 1966 W. 400 North, about 3 a.m., Salt Lake Police Sgt. Brandon Shearer said. According to the police affidavit, Juarez told an officer “he was going to burn down his house” if an individual identified in jail documents as “the victim” didn’t return his child to him.
He then went inside the home and lit an object on fire, causing flames visible from the outside the home as police talked with the victim, the affidavit stated. Officers made their way into the home and attempted to apprehend Juarez.
Juarez refused to be arrested and grabbed the officer’s fingers “in an effort to stop the arrest,” according to the affidavit. Juarez said he drank “four or five beers” prior to the argument, the document added.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)