After Vehicle Crashes Into Semi Truck, UDOT Asking Drivers To Slow Down
DRAPER, Utah — The drivers of a semi truck and a car escaped injury Wednesday after the two collided on I-15 near 13400 South in Draper, leaving the semi on its side across four lanes of traffic.
The Utah Highway Patrol said the accident happened around 5:30 a.m. when the driver of the white sedan was driving too fast for the conditions, lost control and collided with a semi hauling dry goods.
Ben Kelly, of the Utah Department of Transportation management team, said this type of accident could have been much worse — and it could have been avoided altogether.
“Everyone does need to slow down,” he said. “…Temperatures are still very cold, around freezing, so the road can be slick even if it looks clear.”
Kelly said snow plows are working constantly to clear the roads of snow and ice, but drivers have to be careful nonetheless.
He added that on and off ramps can be especially slick.
UHP investigated at least 75 crashes on Wednesday, a number that doesn’t include slide-offs, non-reportable crashes or crashes where drivers exchange insurance information without reporting it to authorities.
UDOT workers asked drivers to clear the snow off their vehicles before hitting the road, give themselves time to drive slower than usual, and, most of all, have some patience.
Troopers have investigated approximately 75 reportable crashes statewide since the storm hit last night. This does not include slide-offs, non-reportable crashes and crashes where drivers simply exchanged insurance info without an officer present.
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) December 26, 2018
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 5286)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 4285)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3692)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 2165)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 2065)
- 2 men arrested for allegedly enticing minors online and by text (pageviews: 2003)