LOCAL NEWS

Boy Injured After Christmas Present Explodes In His Face

Dec 27, 2018, 8:36 PM | Updated: 9:22 pm

FARMINGTON, Utah – A 7-year-old boy ended up in the emergency room on Christmas morning after one of his presents blew up in his face.

Kempton Kirkwood got a lot of cool gifts this year, but he had his eye on something extra special: a blue Sharper Image laser tag gun.

When he opened it on Christmas though, something wasn’t right. A battery got stuck and the laser tag gun started to get hot. That’s when it exploded and sprayed battery acid in his eyes.

“Kempton took out the first battery and then I think he turned it over to see if the (other) battery would come out and it wouldn’t,” said Kempton’s mom, Lesha Kirkwood. “It just kind of popped and exploded right in his face.”

Home security camera footage shows Kempton looking at the laser tag gun. He’s then heard saying to his mom, “the batteries are hot” right before he reacts to a small explosion. He’s then seen grabbing his eyes and crying. His mom rushes him out of the room to wash his eyes out.

“When I was getting the battery out, I saw stuff come out of it into my eye,” said Kempton. “It hurt a lot.”

His family rushed him to the ER where they spent the next couple hours. Kempton has to take antibiotics but luckily doctors say there isn’t permanent damage.

Lesha knows an accident like this is rare, but she wants to warn other parents just in case.

“If you sense something going wrong, just trust your instincts,” she said. “If there’s a battery and it’s heating up, get as far away from it as possible.”

A similar story was reported in San Antonio, Texas on Dec. 26. A woman said her kids were playing with the same blue Sharper Image laser tag gun when it started overheating. The woman went to check out the batteries and it exploded all over her.

KSL reached out to Sharper Image for a comment but have not heard back yet.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Local News

A destroyed home in Ukraine...
Kiersten Nunez

Local nonprofit aims to fix lost homes in Ukraine

The nonprofit August Mission hopes to raise enough money to rehouse Ukrainians who lost their homes during the conflict against Russia.
1 day ago
A barbeque caught on fire at house in Sandy....
Michael Houck

Barbeque fire catches Sandy house on fire; displaces family

A barbeque caught on fire, causing a 2nd alarm house fire in Sandy Sunday evening.
1 day ago
FILE PHOTO (Idaho State Police/Facebook)...
Michael Houck

Kearns woman killed in two vehicle crash in Idaho

A Kearns woman has died after being hit by a car while on a motorcycle in Idaho Saturday.
1 day ago
Iron County Search & Rescue responded to a injured mountain biker at Boulder Dash Trail. (Credit: I...
Michael Houck

Search & Rescue crews help an injured biker near Cedar City

Iron County Search & Rescue helped a mountain biker who needed help after getting hurt on a trail Saturday morning near Cedar City.
1 day ago
A minor apartment fire on 761 So. 300 E....
Michael Houck

SLC Fire crews take down a minor apartment fire

Salt Lake City Fire crews responded to a minor apartment fire Sunday afternoon.
1 day ago
Utah's state Route 24 on June 23, 2022. (NPS)...
Larry D. Curtis

Flood watch over popular Utah recreation areas Sunday

A flood watch is in effect over central southern Utah, through Sunday night, as thunderstorms create potentially dangerous conditions.
1 day ago

Sponsored Articles

hand holding 3d rendering mobile connect with security camera for security solutions...
Les Olson

Wondering what security solutions are right for you? Find out more about how to protect your surroundings

Physical security helps everyone. Keep your employees, clients, and customers safe with security solutions that protect your workplace.
Many rattan pendant lights, hay hang from the ceiling.Traditional and simple lighting....
Lighting Design

The Best Ways to Style Rattan Pendant Lighting in Your Home

Rattan pendant lights create a rustic and breezy feel, and are an easy way to incorporate this hot trend into your home decor.
Earth day 2022...
1-800-GOT-JUNK?

How Are You Celebrating Earth Day 2022? | 4 Simple Ways to Celebrate Earth Day and Protect the Environment

Earth Day is a great time to reflect on how we can be more environmentally conscious. Here are some tips for celebrating Earth Day.
Get Money Online...

More Ways to Get Money Online Right Now in Your Spare Time

Here are 4 easy ways that you can get more money online if you have some free time and want to make a little extra on the side.
Lighting trends 2022...

Lighting Trends 2022 | 5 Beautiful Home Lighting Trends You Can Expect to See this Year and Beyond

This is where you can see the latest lighting trends for 2022 straight from the Lightovation Show at the Dallas World Trade Center.
What Can't You Throw Away in the Trash...

What Can’t You Throw Away in the Trash? | 5 Things You Shouldn’t Throw in to Your Trash Can

What can't you throw away in the trash? Believe it or not, there are actually many items that shouldn't be thrown straight into the trash.
Boy Injured After Christmas Present Explodes In His Face