New Laws In 2019 Include Online Sales Tax For Out-Of-State Purchases
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The new year always means new state laws and the ones that may affect you the most involves taxes. Beginning in 2019, when you buy online, you’ll also be paying Utah sales tax.
You may have already been warned with emails by out-of-state online retailers you’ve shopped with in the past.
“You could call it a new tax, in the sense that in various places, before that sales tax was not collected, but now it is,” said Rusty Cannon, vice president of the Utah Taxpayer Association.
In the past, Utahns were supposed to pay sales tax for any out-of-state purchases when filing their state income taxes. Statistics suggested just one percent of Utahns complied.
Last summer, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that states can require out-of-state retailers to include state sales tax. Utah was one of six states to pass legislation taking advantage of the change.
Lawmakers who supported the online sales tax said it will help to level the playing field for brick and mortar stores who complained about losing sales to customers who could buy it online, without paying any sales tax.
State officials expected an estimated addition of $200 million a year in collected taxes, just from online sales tax. So far, lawmakers have cut other taxes in Utah by $85 million.
“The Utah Taxpayers Association is always advocating for fair and lower taxes and anytime there is an increase in revenue for government we would like to see that returned to taxpayers,” Cannon added. “The legislature made that promise that they would do that with this $200 million, and we want to make sure they continue to fulfill that promise.”
Other laws were scheduled to go into effect, ax well.
Motor home owners will now pay an age-based registration fee – $640 for units under three years and as low as $90 for a vehicle older than 15 years.
Charter schools in Utah will have more oversight beginning in 2019, including senate approval now required of members who sit on the state charter school board.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)