Person Hit, Killed After Walking In Front Of FrontRunner Train
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Utah Transit Authority Police said a man was killed when he walked in front of a FrontRunner train as it was approaching the Orem station.
They said the man was crossing at a designated area at the south end of the station around 8:30 Wednesday morning.
UTA spokesperson Carl Arky said it appeared the man didn’t see the train approaching.
He said the train was trying to slow down, and all safety signals were working at the time.
“I hear the horn blow and that’s when I look up and watch the guy walk in front of it and looking down,” said Michael Fitzgerald, who witnessed the incident. “I didn’t see if he was looking down at a phone or what, but he walked right in front of the train and knocked him about a good 30 or 40 feet.”
Officials have not released the name of the victim yet.
No one on board the train was hurt, but the tragedy delayed their commute.
UTA expected the schedule to be back on track by midday Wednesday while the investigation continues.
Also Wednesday morning, a spokesperson said a driver went through a red light in Salt Lake City and hit the side of the TRAX Red Line.
It happened at the intersection of 800 South and 200 West.
He said two passengers on the train had minor injuries. The driver was hurt, too.
“It’s the new year and we need to remind people to be safe and be cautious any time they’re around railroad tracks,” Arky said.
This article will be updated as more information becomes available.
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 12077)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 8131)
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 6707)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 4895)
- 'Laverne & Shirley' actor Cindy Williams dies at 75 (pageviews: 3897)