$3,000 Worth Of Props, Equipment Stolen From Local Sandy Color Guard Team
SANDY, Utah – Performing in a color guard is a sport many grew to love in high school.
“Color guard means the world to a lot of people,” and members of the Wasatch Independent Color Guard, like Rebekah Rushforth, say they were devastated to learn that two days after Christmas a small utility trailer, filled with the team’s equipment, had been stolen.
“We can’t really catch a break, we have had a lot of ups and downs this season, but that is thousands of dollars in equipment,” she said.
The trailer was parked in a Sandy neighborhood, in front of the home of director Cory Oliver.
“It has been secured for as long as we have had it, but unfortunately that was not enough,” said Oliver.
As the director of the Wasatch Independent Color Guard, Oliver directs a group of two competitive teams, which not only perform and compete regionally, but support many high school color guards programs in Utah.
And the theft of the trailer was just the latest setback for this performing arts group.
The team recently lost its location of a gym to rehearse and compete.
And as hope fades for finding the trailer, supporters of the color guard have started a crowdfunding effort to help buy the essentials for the team.
“We are trying to raise three thousand dollars to replace the things that were stolen. The trailer first is the biggest necessity, and then the props that were inside. What is important is we start our competition season in just a couple of weeks, and we have to get all of those things replaced before any of our productions are performable,” Oliver added.
In the meantime, team members hope the trailer and what is inside, will be recovered to keep their team intact, and their unique program going for years to come.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 8768)
- Get Gephardt: Husband sued for deceased wife’s unpaid medical bill - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6320)
- Judge calls Orem mayor 'lynchpin' in fraud case, orders him and son to pay $1M (pageviews: 5012)
- NB I-15 reopens following crash, massive oil spill in Draper - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4958)
- NB I-15 closed in Draper following multi-car crash, oil spill (pageviews: 4861)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4639)