11 Pediatric Flu-Related Deaths Reported Nationwide, 2 From Utah
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported 11 pediatric flu-related deaths this season, and two of those deaths happened in Utah.
One of those two deaths also involved an underlying medical condition.
Additionally, officials with the Utah Department of Health said Thursday the Beehive State stands out nationally because of how widespread the flu is from county to county.
Officials also reported the state has not even hit peak season yet.
Typically flu season is tracked from October to the end of May. This year,in terms of severity, Utah’s flu season is mild. However, the state is seeing widespread activity picking up in almost all counties.
The most common strain health officials are seeing is H1N1, which is a strain in the vaccine this year.
“The vaccine is a good match for the strain we are seeing most predominantly,” said UDOH spokesman Tom Hudachko. “Vaccination — No. 1 thing.”
“It’s not too late to get vaccinated,” he added. “There’s plenty of influenza vaccine throughout the state, so visit your health care provider. Go to a pharmacy. Get yourself vaccinated if you haven’t.”
According to the UDOH, there have been 103 influenza-associated hospitalizations, which is lower than what officials have seen at this time in the past couple of years. However, given the fact activity is picking up throughout the state, they anticipate those numbers to increase.
The CDC recommends a flu shot for everyone 6 months or older. People are also urged to thoroughly wash their hands throughout the day, cover their mouths with a tissue or the crook of their elbows when coughing and sneezing, and stay home when feeling sick.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)