Dixie State Moving To Division 1 For 2020-2021 School Year
ST. GEORGE, Utah – Dixie State University will officially make the jump to NCAA Division 1 athletics in the 2020-2021 school year.
KSL Sports has learned that there will be an official announcement Friday at 3p.m. at the Student Activity Center in St. George.
The Trailblazers moved from the junior college ranks to NCAA Division 2 in 2006.
With the move to Division 1, Dixie State’s football team will become an independent, which will allow for a perfect geographical rivalry with Southern Utah University in Cedar City, just 50 miles up the road.
The move will also pave the way to play other in-state NCAA schools.
Currently in Division 2, Dixie State has a limit of 40 scholarships for the football team, but that could increase by 20 with the jump.
Basketball and all other sports will join the Western Athletic Conference, giving them another built-in, in-state rivalry with Utah Valley University in Orem.
Following standard NCAA procedure, Dixie State will be on a four-year probation after the move to Division 1 before any sport can participate in NCAA tournaments, which would be the 2024-2025 seasons.
The official announcement and school rally will stream live Friday at 3 p.m. on dixiestateathletics.com.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)