Utah’s Air Quality Expected To Be Improved By 2030
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Air quality was the hot topic of a panel discussion that included experts from UCAIR, the University of Utah and the Deseret News.
UCAIR Executive Director Thom Carter said by 2030 Utah will have improved air in time for the Winter Olympics.
The current lingering inversion was very relevant at the Tuesday Newsmaker breakfast and discussion at the Thomas Monson Center in Salt Lake City.
Carter shared that cars continue to be the biggest problem in Utah and that drivers need to make better choices, but at the same time he recognizes the infrastructure for mass transit needs to improve. He also mentioned while we will see improvement, over time there is no getting rid of Utah’s inversions forever because it’s a weather issue.
As part of an experiment, Deseret News reporter Erica Evans went one week without a car, and says the biggest challenge was getting around at night and on the weekends.
With Continued improvement to both infrastructure and individuals Carter says we are on the right track to have better air for the 2030 Olympics.
“That’s the goal, in fact our air quality continues to get better. The Department of Environmental quality has statistics that show from 2002 to 2017 we’ve increase in population by 34% but decreased our emissions by 38%. The Governor has said by 2026 he wants to see 25% continual reduction in emissions,” said Thom Carter, Utah Clean Air Executive Director.
Governor Gary Herbert’s proposed $100 million dedicated to improving air quality would also significantly help move the needle. Providing incentives for people in Utah to be part of the solution by making necessary and affordable changes.
The Clear The Air Challenge is just around the corner where people can sign up to carpool together, take mass transit, & make fewer trips throughout the month of February.
For more information visit http://cleartheairchallenge.org/
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)