Planned Development In Hurricane Packs Planning Commission Meeting
HURRICANE, Utah – Watching the promotional video for The Cove, you can see how beautiful its surroundings are.
Being so close to Zion National Park and Sand Hollow State Park is part of what makes Hurricane in Washington County so attractive.
But it’s that same peaceful beauty many are now fighting to protect.
“It would certainly destroy the small community atmosphere that we have here,” said John Beck, outside the Hurricane Planning Commission meeting Thursday night.
Beck, who moved to Utah from California last year to get away from it all, was one of about 300 residents who filled the room during the Hurricane Planning Commission meeting.
Many of them are against the development.
“Why on earth would we do that?” asked one man during the public comment portion of the meeting.
The Cove is planned as an Old-West style town featuring about 600 homes, restaurants, gardens, and shops.
It will also feature a facility for dinner shows and a town square for entertainment.
“We want people to actually feel like they are in the Old West and experience that, said Jim Thomas, who is the developer behind the project.
Thomas says he understands the concerns residents have.
However, he also feels as the area grows, more people need places to live and things to do.
“We’re not here to be getting in anybody’s face,” said Thomas. “We think we can do this environmentally sensitive to those who are around us and be good neighbors to those who are around us.”
Many of those neighbors, though, say they are worried about an increase of noise and traffic.
They also fear they will lose something you can’t replace.
“Because of the atmosphere and the quality of life that we have here, we don’t want to move,” said Beck.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 3683)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)