Utah Woman Helps Stitch Together A California Community After Deadly Wildfire
PLEASANT GROVE, Utah – When Krysti Wright saw her childhood home burned to the ground, she knew she needed to do something to help the residents who have lost everything. Last November, the Camp Fire ripped through Paradise, Calif., destroying 14,000 residences and leaving tens of thousands of residents homeless.
“It was very depressing to see that and to feel of what their sorrows are,” Wright said.
In 2016, Wright started nonprofit Stitching Hearts Worldwide and has since donated 1,700 quilts to refugees around the world. When she saw the need in California, she knew she needed to get involved.
“It’s like the quilts is the one thing that starts their home again,” Wright said. “It’s something that someone has put their effort, and love into, that make it something special just for them.”
“There was just story after story of people having lost everything and yet they had a happy smile on their faces,” she said.
She recounted one story of a woman who received one of Wright’s quilts and noted it had some of the same fabrics her grandmother used.
Wright said the trip was so inspiring she enlisted the help of Utahns to sew nearly 200 more. She’s taken donated materials, looms and sewing machines to dozens of groups to finish the quilts. Wright said it not only helps the people of Paradise, but also the ones right here in Utah.
“It’s giving them a chance to serve, it makes them happy,” she said. “I love to see people happy.”
Wright said she planned to donate the newest quilts to residents of Paradise by the end of February.
- Returning Missionary Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Infects Family (pageviews: 64357)
- New Projection Shows Fewer Potential COVID-19 Deaths In Utah (pageviews: 15314)
- US Coronavirus Fight Enters Crucial Weeks After Reaching Grim Milestone (pageviews: 12307)
- COVID-19 Model Shows Improvement In Projected Utah Deaths (pageviews: 9396)
- Earthquake Tracker - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9396)
- Five New Virus-Related Deaths Reported In Utah; 1,675 Confirmed Cases (pageviews: 4242)
- Renderings Released For Temples In Tooele, Washington County, Washington State (pageviews: 4209)
- Utah House Democrats Urge Governor To Issue Stay-At-Home Order (pageviews: 4151)
- The Pink Moon Will Be The Biggest And Brightest Of 2020 (pageviews: 3521)