Latter-day Saint Temple In St. George To Close Until 2022
ST. GEORGE, Utah — The temple for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in St. George will be closed for renovation until 2022, church officials said.
The temple will close Nov. 4 and is expected to reopen in 2022 after “extensive structural, mechanical, electrical, finish and plumbing work” is completed, the church said in a news release Friday.
Church President Russell M. Nelson announced in October that the church will be renovating and updating pioneer-generation temples.
The St. George Temple opened in April 1877 and was the first temple completed in Utah. It was remodeled and reopened in November 1975.
The closest Latter-day Saint temple for St. George residents is the Cedar City Temple about an hour away. The St. George Temple also receives visitors from parts of Nevada and Arizona.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 21340)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 8551)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 7157)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 6307)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 3940)