West Jordan Family Warns Of Dangers Of Window Blind Cords After 3-Year-Old Gets Tangled

Jan 29, 2019, 11:54 PM | Updated: 11:55 pm

WEST JORDAN, Utah – It was a loud thump coming from the children’s bedroom that alerted her to an unthinkable accident. Arika Hernandez said her 3-year-old son, Kai, had tangled in rotating window blind cords in early January.

“I literally could have walked into that room to my son no longer living,” she said.

Her son was lying on the floor with deep, red wounds around his neck where the cords tightened.

She said Kai was climbing his bunk bed when the accident happened.

“He had wrapped the cords around his neck to make a necklace, but they tightened,” she said. “He tried to scream for us, but later told us that nothing came out.”

Eventually a fall from the top of the bunk’s ladder snapped the cord and freed Kai.

“When I jumped, it got down from my neck.” Kai said.

His family rushed him to the hospital where doctors ran scans to check his spine. Luckily, Kai only suffered wounds to his skin and would recover.

This incident is not uncommon. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said one child dies each month by strangling in a window covering cord.

In 2016, former BYU football star and running back’s coach tragically lost his 3-year-old, Elsie Mahe, to the same accident. The Hernandez family said they saw that story and even took precautions before their incident.

“The long part I was like, ‘yeah, absolutely that is so dangerous, it hangs down low,’ so I had it tied up but the safety tassel part of it I had no intentions of doing anything,” father Dan Hernandez said.

After posting their experience to Facebook, the family has been in touch with others who have experienced something similar.

“So many mothers reached out, with tragic endings to their stories,” Arika Hernandez said. “I don’t know if I could handle that trial of losing a child.”

The family wants others to learn from their experience and consider changing out their window treatments.

“This is an accident that should never happen,” Arika said. “This has been happening for years and the window blind companies need to take these off the shelves. It’s like if there were a car recall because of a death, that company would stop making the car. They should do the same for these blinds.”

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Matt Gephardt being shown the double payments that Terry Hutchings has been getting....

Matt Gephardt and Sloan Schrage, KSL TV

Get Gephardt helps homeowner being charged two bills for one security system

Billing for a previous home initially stopped when she sold it, but when she got a new security system from the same provider for her new place a year later it started billing for both

2 hours ago

The Utah State Hospital sign in Provo, Utah....

Daniel Woodruff

A developer has big plans for the Utah State Hospital property

The latest effort to move the Utah State Hospital for a new development plan has failed this legislative session.

2 hours ago

Utah County residents vote in-person during the 2020 General Election on Nov. 3, 2020. (KSL-TV)...

Daniel Woodruff

Utah Senate rejects effort to end ranked choice voting early

Utah’s experiment with ranked choice voting will continue after a bill that would have ended the pilot program two years early failed to pass.

2 hours ago

The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced February 29 that Heritage Store Hydrogen Peroxide ...

John Towfighi, CNN

Mouthwash recalled nationwide over poisoning risk

One brand of hydrogen peroxide mouthwash is being recalled nationwide for posing a potential poisoning risk for children.

4 hours ago

Comiske riding her stationary bike, something she does every morning....

Emma Benson

Strategies to lengthen your life

The CDC says, on average, women tend to live 5-7 years longer than men because men higher rate of cardiovascular disease, but there are simple, healthy ways to increase your life expectancy.

5 hours ago

A mother holding a newborn in a hospital bed...

Shelby Lofton

Utah family chooses Leap Day for their daughter’s birthday

A Utah family celebrated the birth of their new baby girl who was born on a day that only comes every four years.

6 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light Up Your Home With These Top Lighting Trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for Hassle-Free Computer Repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Close up of finger on keyboard button with number 11 logo...

PC Laptops

7 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade Your Laptop to Windows 11

Explore the benefits of upgrading to Windows 11 for a smoother, more secure, and feature-packed computing experience.

Stylish room interior with beautiful Christmas tree and decorative fireplace...

Lighting Design

Create a Festive Home with Our Easy-to-Follow Holiday Prep Guide

Get ready for festive celebrations! Discover expert tips to prepare your home for the holidays, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for unforgettable moments.

Battery low message on mobile device screen. Internet and technology concept...

PC Laptops

9 Tips to Get More Power Out of Your Laptop Battery

Get more power out of your laptop battery and help it last longer by implementing some of these tips from our guide.

Users display warnings about the use of artificial intelligence (AI), access to malicious software ...

Les Olson

How to Stay Safe from Cybersecurity Threats

Read our tips for reading for how to respond to rising cybersecurity threats in 2023 and beyond to keep yourself and your company safe.

West Jordan Family Warns Of Dangers Of Window Blind Cords After 3-Year-Old Gets Tangled