Rare Albino Deer Spotted in Eden
EDEN, Utah – Folks in the Ogden Valley are buzzing about a rare animal sighting, but if you want to see it, you have to look very close.
Christy Veglia is sharing her photos of a rare albino deer on social media.
“It’s crazy,” she said. “Never seen anything like that before.”
Veglia says she’s been hunting since she was 12 or 13 years old. She’s seen all kinds of wildlife, but what she saw near the Wolf Creek golf course in Eden Saturday, took even her by surprise.
“To be honest with you, the first time I saw it I thought it was a llama,” said Veglia. “Minus the ears it looks just like a llama.”
What she saw wasn’t a llama, but a white deer traipsing through her in-laws’ backyard with its herd and blending right in with the snowy backdrop.
“I put it on Facebook and I was like, ‘be careful. They’re figuring out how to camouflage themselves,’” Veglia laughed.
The Division of Wildlife Resources took a look at the photos and say they’re pretty confident was Veglia saw is an albino mule deer. They say they’re rare in Utah, but they are around.
You just have to be lucky enough to catch a glimpse before they disappear.
“You hear about creatures like that but that’s a once in a lifetime experience to get to see something like that, so it was pretty neat,” said Veglia.
There is a chance Veglia will see an albino deer again, and there’s a chance for you too.
Wildlife officials say they receive a few photos of white deer every year and they believe they’ll continue to be seen in Utah for years to come.
- Family members remember, honor two USU plane crash victims (pageviews: 7173)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 6659)
- 48 migrants die after trailer abandoned in Texas heat (pageviews: 6371)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 6316)
- R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in sex trafficking case (pageviews: 6069)
- Why this mom’s abortion decision challenged her family’s religious beliefs (pageviews: 4164)