Utah’s New Child Abuse Registry Goes Online
SANPETE COUNTY, Utah – There’s nothing JoAnn Otten likes more than spending time with her 14 grandchildren, but it’s her nickname, “They gave me the name of mad grandma,” she said, given to her by a local chapter of Bikers Against Child Abuse, that speaks volumes about her determination to protect all children, after one of her grandchildren was abused as an infant.
Since then, Otten began a journey to raise awareness about child abuse.
Two years ago, she led the charge at the state legislature, to create a child abuse registry for offenders guilty of a felony. “Miley’s Law” means there is now a searchable website.
Now that the system is operational, Otten says it is important for people to use it, so they can help protect children around them.
“If your babysitter is on there or your neighbor or a coach that your children play sports with, it is a guide for you to look at, to make sure your children going with people who are safe,” she added.
Her abuser remains in prison and will be on the registry himself.
And Otten will sleep better now, knowing not just her grandchildren, but all children are safer.
“We have a responsibility to our children, and we need to put it in our head that our children matter and we need to protect our children,” she said.
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 7556)
- Missing teen returns home to Eagle Mountain (pageviews: 6298)
- Missing teen returns home to Eagle Mountain – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5748)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4510)
- Authorities searching for 13-year-old boy on Fish Lake (pageviews: 3680)
- 'Elf Emporium' for Festival of Trees is woman’s dying wish (pageviews: 3089)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 3051)
- Laundrie family hopes for answers after remains found (pageviews: 2590)
- Authorities searching for 13-year-old boy on Fish Lake – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2517)