Magna Case Shows Thieves Can Strike At Any Time – Even In Winter Storm
MAGNA, Utah — It may have happened on the heels of a major winter storm, in the middle of frigid temperatures and in front of ample traffic. None of those factors deterred the theft of an ATV-turned-snowplow from an auto lot early Monday morning.
Surveillance video captured by cameras at Progresso Auto, 2690 S. 7200 West, showed three people trudging through the snow and eventually towing the ATV through a cut hole in a chain-link fence.
“The damage they caused to the property is more than what it’s worth,” business owner Ruben De Leon said.
De Leon said the video showed the three thieves leave a few minutes later in what he believed was a red Dodge ram, possible model years 2010 to 2014, towing a white trailer.
“As you can see, I haven’t had the time to remove the snow from the cars as of yet,” said De Leon, who ended up having to pay someone else to plow his lot.
Unified Police Department Sgt. Melody Gray said thieves can strike at any time.
While she encouraged property owners to lock up vehicles and keep keys away from them in a safe place, Gray also said De Leon appeared to do everything right in this case and still fell victim.
De Leon has been accustomed to the threat of theft in the area.
“Honestly, yeah, the first two days that we installed the (surveillance) cameras, the actual cameras got stolen, believe it or not,” De Leon chuckled.
The car dealer said he wished the thieves would realize the cost of their actions.
“I’m just hoping to hopefully find (the ATV) because I really need it,” De Leon said.
Anybody with information was asked to call the Unified Police Department at 801-743-7000.
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 12077)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 8131)
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 6707)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 4895)
- 'Laverne & Shirley' actor Cindy Williams dies at 75 (pageviews: 3897)