Sandy Intersection Closed After Semi Slams Into Utility Pole
SANDY, Utah – Drivers have been asked to avoid the intersection of 8600 South at 1300 East in Sandy after a crash pulled down power lines.
Officials with the Sandy Police Department said a semi was driving in the area Monday night about 6:30 p.m. when it crashed into a power pole on the northwest corner of the intersection.
The semi driver then drove off, leaving power lines hanging low across the intersection.
“(This) could have been significantly worse. I mean we’re lucky that the power pole didn’t come completely down. There are no wires in the road, they’re just hanging too low for traffic,” said Lieutenant Jon Arnold with the Sandy Police Department.
#BREAKING: avoid area of 86th S & 13th E. @Sandy_Police: a semi clipped a power pole causing pwr lines to hang low. Power company on scene, but fix could take up to 8 HRS!… they are waiting for a special truck—so they don’t have to turn MUCH of Sandy’s power off. #KSLTV pic.twitter.com/VrhFsWe4rI
— Caitlin Burchill (@newsyCaitlin) February 26, 2019
Southbound and westbound lanes were closed while crews worked to repair the damage.
Repairs were expected to take around 8 hours, which would be into the early hours of Tuesday. Power crews have been on scene for hours, as of 10 p.m. Monday.
Drivers have been asked to avoid the area while crews work in the area.
Police were searching for the semi. Anyone who saw what happened or who has information about the incident should call police.
Traffic is severely impacted at 8600 S 1300 E. All southbound and westbound lanes will be closed for several hours for repair work on damaged powerlines from a traffic accident. Please use an alternate route.
— Sandy Police (@Sandy_Police) February 26, 2019
- Why this mom’s abortion decision challenged her family’s religious beliefs (pageviews: 8360)
- At least 2 injured after semi hauling beehives tips on I-80 (pageviews: 8027)
- 48 migrants die after trailer abandoned in Texas heat (pageviews: 6371)
- Family members remember, honor two USU plane crash victims (pageviews: 6297)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 4692)
- Man arrested for domestic violence after victim calls police under guise to 'order a pizza' (pageviews: 3431)