Study: Utah High School Could Suffer Earthquake Fatalities
PROVO, Utah (AP) — A structural study conducted at a Utah high school has found that an earthquake could result in collapses and possible fatalities in the building.
The Daily Herald reports that the analysis performed in November at Timpview High School in Provo found a gym roof and some classroom floors are not adequately connected to bearing walls.
The study was one of at least seven the Provo City School District has commissioned in recent years.
Concerns about shifting have caused officials to consider a rebuild of the school. The structure is not anchored to bedrock and the harsh winter of 2016-17 caused clay on the school grounds to expand.
District education officials could decide in April whether a construction bond question will be put to voters on the November ballot.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)