Jazz Ban Second Fan, This Time For An Incident From Last Year
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — The Utah Jazz have come down hard on another fan permanently banning him from Vivint Arena for racial remarks against Oklahoma City Thunder star Russell Westbrook.
This is the second band this week. The first one happening on Tuesday.
That fan was accused of making racial remarks against Westbrook at a game on Monday night.
The other incident actually happened last year during the playoff games, but a video of the encounter came forward on Friday.
It shows Westbrook hamming it up for fans and one them can be heard saying, “You go boy.” The fan said it twice.
On Thursday night, in an unprecedented move, Utah Jazz owner Gail Miller made a statement before the game addressing the incident on Monday night.
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) March 15, 2019
“This should never happen. We are not a racist community,” said Miller to cheering fans. “We have a code of conduct in this arena, it will be strictly enforced.”
“I really appreciate what Gail said,” said Bryce Blanchard, the former president of the Utah Jazz 100 club and current advisory board member with the organization. “We have to stop that kind of behavior and perception.”
Blanchard is an 11 year season ticket holder who has front-row seats next to the opponents bench. He admits he can be a heckler at times, but says there is a line no fan should ever cross.
“Nobody should ever be personal, nobody should be profane, nobody should ever be racist,” said Blanchard. “We have to act differently. We have to take ownership of what happened. We have to chose to raise our game as a fan base.”
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 29330)
- Airbnb Rental Leads To Accidental Quarantine Family (pageviews: 10903)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 7691)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 6103)
- 3 People Injured In Dramatic Crash On Bonneville Salt Flats, Witness Says (pageviews: 5978)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5683)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4723)
- Are You Graduating This Year? Pizza Hut Wants To Give You A Free Pizza (pageviews: 3948)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 3685)