Mayor Biskupski Withdraws From 2019 Race For Personal Family Reasons
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski has withdrawn from the 2019 mayoral race, citing a “serious and complex family situation.”
Biskupski was expected to run for a second term, but surprised many people Monday when announced she was withdrawing from the race on her Twitter page.
“My commitment to my family and my role as Mayor must be my top priorities over being a candidate,” she tweeted.
My commitment to my family and my role as Mayor must be my top priorities over being a candidate. For this reason I have just told my staff that I will be withdrawing from the 2019 race. It has been an honor serving and I look forward to the next 9 month. https://t.co/S45FaUHDTa
— Mayor J. Biskupski (@slcmayor) March 18, 2019
She released a statement that can be found in full here.
Biskupski said the decision to withdraw was based on three factors: a responsibility to her family, her duty to Salt Lake residents and her desire to run again for mayor.
She said they are facing “a serious and complex family situation.”
Ultimately, it was “a private issue” involving her children that she and her wife, Betty, felt needed more attention.
Despite keeping the details of the situation private, when asked if there was anything community members could do for and her family in the meantime she said they can continue to support her for the next nine months.
KSL TV’s Caitlin Burchill contributed to this report.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10480)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 4695)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4341)
- A Spanish Fork high school homecoming dress code causes tension between students and faculty – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3477)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3208)
- Rolling Stone releases list of 100 greatest TV shows of all-time (pageviews: 3123)