SLC Police Investigate Homicide After Report Of Fight In Upper Avenues Home
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Police responded to the report of a fight early Thursday morning and found a man dead inside a home in the upper avenues.
Det. Michael Ruff said officers arrived at the house at 797 E. Northcliffe Dr. around 1:15 a.m. and discovered the body of 40-year-old Cory Haney.
Property records and neighbors confirmed Haney as the owner and resident.
“They took a suspect into custody,” Ruff said. “He is still in police custody and that is about all the information I have at this time.”
Neighbors said Haney had a man described as a ‘friend’ living with him in the months prior to his death.
It remained unclear whether that man was the one in custody.
The house was quiet with no activity Thursday afternoon and evening.
Next-door neighbor Dave Van Langeveld said Haney had lived in the house for at least 4 years, and seemed kind.
“We’re sad to see that happen,” Van Langeveld said. “(Cory) was always friendly, and we didn’t have a lot of interaction with him, but never a problem either.”
As of late Thursday, police had not provided any further details about the case, including the manner of death or details of the fight.
Van Langeveld was also uncertain what went wrong.
“We never ever saw anything that would say, ‘there’s an issue there,’” he said.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)