High 5: Growlin’ Grizzlies Booster Club Unwavering in Support for Team
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Grizzlies Hockey team is a staple sporting event for families across the state, but there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes to make the game possible.
That’s thanks to the Growlin’ Grizzlies Booster Club — in particular the board members.
“It’s all volunteer, all volunteer. All the board is volunteer, all the members,” said board member Heidi Pitkin.
“The impact is huge,” Grizzlies vice president Jared Youngman said. “In our league the players don’t make a lot of money, and it’s great to know that you have these fans who are willing to step in.”
So what does this group do on a regular basis?
“Every Friday night home game, we have a Friday, Saturday home game, they are here feeding these players,” Youngman said.
They organize the apartments and clean them, and at the end of the season, they clean them out.
“We supply the bedding, the basic house wear, and then we put together a little basket for them, a welcome basket,” Pitkin explained. “We call it bear necessities.”
Board members also give the players rides to and from the airport.
“Things that they need to be able to come in and just start playing,” Pitkin said.
“We’re all a part of making the players’ experience here a happy one, a healthy one and a exciting one,” Ashley Sadler said.
Once a month, each player is given a “Boostie box” filled with their favorite snacks and gift cards.
“Boostie box nights are the best nights,” said one Growlin’ Grizzly. “They are so excited for those nights.”
As for the motivation to volunteer?
“We have a great time together, we all get along and we have a lot of fun,” booster club treasurer Chad Ryan said.
“We don’t tend to do this for the recognition,” said a club member. “It’s fun to get to know the rest of the fans and the players and getting to see behind the scenes.”
“For the love of hockey,” another Growlin’ Grizzly. “And for the love of our community and being able to give back.”
The Club was nominated for a High 5, so we went out to say thanks from all of the Grizzly fans around the state.
- Anchorage Alaska Temple to be rebuilt, moved to a new location - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8444)
- Search warrant reveals neighbors discovered bodies of Haight family (pageviews: 7455)
- Body found inside limestone kiln in Salt Lake City foothills (pageviews: 6751)
- Slain Enoch girl texted friend that dad was acting strange and she was worried (pageviews: 5763)
- ‘Overwhelming’ response for radon testing after Lehi woman shares cancer diagnosis story - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5046)
- Snow College employee found dead in off-campus student housing unit (pageviews: 3984)