Home Organization Tips for Spring Cleaning
As the warm weather continues to rise, we all wish we had some of Mrs. Doubtfire’s skills around the house.
Spring fever has struck many people this time of year with warmer weather coming, and when we think about spring cleaning, home organization is a topic that often comes up.
We met with home organizers Brooke Bendixen and Haley Steele from Spit Spot Organizers, who say the number one area of the home people want to get organized this time of year is the kitchen.
They say it’s typically the most-used room in the house and a place where things can pile up over the winter.
“Some of the main common issues we see are definitely paper management. There’s always papers all over the house,” Bendixen says. “Clothing is one thing. It’s hard to go through your closets and decide if you really want to keep this or that. And of course the kitchen.”
Some guidance on how to organize:
- Make a plan. Don’t try to do too much, and give yourself the time to organize.
- Use containers. Everything has a place, so eliminate just throwing stuff into closets and drawers.
- Prioritize. Eliminate stuff you don’t need, and get rid of paperwork that’s more than seven years old unless it’s tax returns.
If you need help in getting started:
“Start by making a list,” Steele says. “Just make baby steps. Mix up your list a little bit. Put some bigger projects in. And some little projects in between those bigger projects. So you don’t get so overwhelmed.”
They said everyone can get a free estimate from organizers if you’re thinking of hiring a professional.
And if you’re willing to do the work, most organizers, including Spit Spot, will jump onto a FaceTime or Skype call with you for an affordable consultation.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)