World’s Most Pedestrian-Friendly Car On Utah Roads
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – UDOT’s Zero Fatalities team introduced the world’s most pedestrian-friendly car with bright paint, sirens, horns, airbags strapped to the car, and a loud speaker to remind drivers to do a better job of looking out for pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists, and for pedestrians to look out for drivers.
This highly visible car may be a bit over the top, UDOT spokesperson John Gleason said this issue is no April Fool’s joke.
“As we head into the spring here, we are going to see more pedestrians [and] more bicyclists out on our road and we want to spread that message to both drivers and pedestrians to look out for each other,” Gleason said.
On average, Utah sees about 40 pedestrian-related fatalities each year. This year alone, the state’s had 10 fatalities.
The Governors Highway Safety Association released preliminary data, reporting pedestrian fatalities in 2018 reached the highest mortality rate since 1990.
Gleason urges drivers to put their cell phones down and pay attention to their surroundings.
“It’s that one time you’re not expecting it, that someone walks out in front of you or someone drives where they’re not supposed to be and the results can be deadly,” he said.
He also reminds people that both pedestrians and drivers share this responsibility. He encourages pedestrians to wear reflective gear to be more visible to drivers on the road.
- School Officials Apologize For 'Abhorrent' Quote In Highland High Yearbook (pageviews: 22111)
- Eight Arrested After Rally In Cottonwood Heights Turns Violent (pageviews: 22056)
- Police: Shots Fired Into Security Booth Outside Provo Missionary Training Center (pageviews: 5690)
- Suspect Killed; West Jordan Officer Shot In Shoulder (pageviews: 3806)
- The FDA's List Of Dangerous Hand Sanitizers Has Now Grown To More Than 100 (pageviews: 3105)
- Medical Helicopter Dispatched To Utah Lake After Report Of Person Being 'Entangled' In Propeller (pageviews: 2869)
- Wilford Brimley, 'Cocoon' And 'Natural' Actor, Dies At 85 (pageviews: 2854)
- Police: Shots Fired Overnight Outside Missionary Training Center In Provo (pageviews: 2358)
- Doctor Debunks Myths About Wearing Face Masks (pageviews: 1966)