Man In Custody After Hit And Run Downtown
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Police have made an arrest after a hit and run crash.
SLCPD tweeted Wednesday evening that Todd Smith, age 49, was arrested on hit and run and DUI charges.
Correction to the #HitAndRun suspect arrested was a Todd Smith, 49. Sorry for the mix up. It has been a busy day in the big city.
— SLC Police Dept. (@slcpd) April 4, 2019
The crash happened near 100 South Main Street in Salt Lake City Wednesday afternoon.
While police said the victim’s injuries were serious, he is expected to survive.
Kenna Lyman and Gage Barrows were nearby when the collision happened.
.@slcpd: Man in road struck by car, left with critical injuries in hit-and-run. Driver apparently was in an argument or fight nearby prior to collision. Officers believe they know who they are seeking. Person taken into custody on scene is NOT connected to the incident @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/HAUepvKHbY
— Andrew Adams (@AndrewAdamsKSL) April 3, 2019
“I heard… a really loud slap,” Lyman said.
“…And that’s when the gentleman in the vehicle came and hit him, stopped… and sped off,” Barrows said.
Police said in this case the victim was someone who was standing in a roadway. They urge pedestrians to use crosswalks and to stay alert.
“Obviously we don’t like to see anybody get hit by a car. This month happens to be distracted driving and auto pedestrian safety month,” said Detective Michael Ruff with SLCPD.
Salt Lake City Police give the latest updates after a hit and run crash.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Police say there was some sort of verbal altercation leading up to the hit and run.
“(The suspect vehicle) was seen in another spot in the city that had left after an altercation at a gas station. That vehicle was driving recklessly,” Det. Ruff said.
Police have since located the car and are still seeking a suspect.
Officials have not released any driver description.
KSL TV’s Andrew Adams contributed to this report.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)