Utah School Board Adopts New K-12 Health Education Standards
The vote on Thursday culminated a near two-year process to update the standards, which for the first time includes students in grades kindergarten through second grade.
The standards cover mental health and emotional health, substance abuse prevention, safety and disease prevention, nutrition, human development and health foundation, and protective factors of healthy self.
Instead of spelling out specific health topics in the standards, the state board will provide teachers instructional guides that address specific issues of current concern such as opioid abuse and sexual assault.
The updated standards stress sexual abstinence while allowing for the evaluation of contraceptives as methods of preventing pregnancy.
Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)