‘Larger Than Life,’ Volunteers Unveil Flag For Fallen Soldier’s Family
SANDY, Utah — It was an emotional moment for the family of a fallen soldier as a massive American Flag is unveiled to them for the first time.
“I can’t even think of words for it. It’s beautiful, it’s majestic and amazing!” said an emotion Jennie Taylor, the wife of Major Brent Taylor, North Ogden’s former Mayor, who was killed while serving in Afghanistan on November 3rd of last year. “To really see it spread out like this is just unbelievable. Larger than life is all I can think. A lot of blood has gone into keeping this flag flying not just ours.”
The flag, which is 78 feet wide and 150 feet long, is an exact replica of the flag that flew in Coldwater Canyon shortly after Major Taylor was killed.
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) April 16, 2019
That flag belongs to the non-profit organization called “Follow the Flag” which has been flying “flags of healing” since 2015.
Hikers helped carry the 400 pound flag up the canyon for everyone to see.
The community of North Ogden loved it so much that they raised $50,000 to get their own flag in honor of Major Taylor so that they could fly it every year.
On Tuesday afternoon, dozens of volunteers showed up at the Mountain America Expo Center in Sandy to help with some of the final touches of the new flag.
“He would be the first to remind everyone it’s not his flag, it’s not his freedom, it something bigger than all of us straight from God,” said Jennie. “I feel Brent very closely and fortunately he and I can both say that long before we ever knew and loved each other we loved this country.”
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)