Los Angeles Police Nab Scooter-Riding Bay-Area Thieves
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police said Thursday that they’ve broken up a band of scooter-riding robbers from the San Francisco Bay Area who busted into 40 cars over the weekend in Los Angeles.
“The scooters give then mobility, and in Hollywood on a weekend night with as busy as it gets, the scooters allow them to maneuver through the community almost at will,” Los Angeles police Capt. Cory Palka told KNTV .
Surveillance video of one of the thefts provided by LAPD shows a man ride a scooter to the back of a car, bust out its window, grab a bag inside and pass it to another man on a scooter before the two zip away.
The Hollywood area may be an attractive target because of all the tourists, he said.
“Oftentimes tourists, people new to community, don’t lock cars and are prone to becoming victims,” he said.
Palka said such thefts are an ongoing issue and that thieves have been taking stolen items up to Oakland to sell them on the street.
Palka said five arrests have been made and that the LAPD and Oakland police have paired up on the ongoing investigation.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 5286)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 4285)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3692)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 2165)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 2065)
- 2 men arrested for allegedly enticing minors online and by text (pageviews: 2003)