VIDEO: Son Home From Military Surprises Mom at FanX
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – It’s never a bad thing to get away from real life for a little while.
Especially at FanX, where you can truly become anybody.
From wizards and ghostbusters, to little Ewoks and the creativity it takes to become Punk Snow White,
“I’m way more nerdy than I was four years ago,” said the woman playing Punk Snow White.
Here inside the Salt Palace in downtown Salt Lake City you can be any character you want.
“I’m Rory Mercury. It’s from an anime called Gates,” said Melina Crump, who lives in Lehi.
You can also be from any world you want.
Anakin Skywalker and Padme were proof of that.
“There’s no sand here, so I’m liking it,” said Jared Casper with a laugh as he walked around in his Anakin costume.
It’s also okay to be here even if you’re not quite sure you want to be here in the first place.
“I’m the reluctant mom. That is what he asked me to be today,” said a mother with a laugh, walking around in regular clothes, as she followed around her son who was dressed up.
It sure takes a lot to put on an event like this, so in the volunteer room, we asked Toni Montrose about it.
“We help the volunteers with all their needs. We feed them, we give them supplies and check them in and out for their shifts and help them with any questions they have,” said Montrose.
It was at that moment, she noticed someone, did a double take, and screamed.
“I’m gonna cry. So good to see you,” she yelled.
It was her son, Samuel Petit, who got home from Arizona this morning and decided to surprise his mom.
“She just wasn’t looking this way. I’m like, ‘hey mom.’ She looks over and I’m like, well that was uneventful,” said Petit when talking about his mother’s double take.
“It just took a second to click is all,” said his mom with another laugh.
He didn’t even need a costume to be her favorite.
And maybe that’s what FanX should be best known for, the excitement of seeing others, whether you know them or not.
“Even though they’re complete strangers, you guys feel like lifelong friends, you know? Everybody just gets along,” said Casper.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)