Ben Lomond Teacher Recognized For 50 Years In Classroom
OGDEN, Utah – Teaching may have changed immeasurably over the past 50 years, but Jill Flamm has stood the test of time.
After a career that started in the fall of 1969, the Ben Lomond High School teacher sounded Monday like she still has more years left in her.
“I just like teaching and I like the kids,” Flamm said as she teared up. “Sometimes the way I get to them is I get emotional with them, too.”
The teacher wasn’t sure where the time had gone.
“You just get up every day and come to school and do what you do and pretty soon here it is,” Flamm shrugged.
— OgdenSchoolDistrict (@ogdensd) April 30, 2019
Flamm was recognized Monday evening for her 5 decades of service, the overwhelming majority of which has been spent at the high school.
Former coworkers, students and friends formed a long line outside the school’s library to offer well-wishes and congratulations.
“She’s always been strict, firm but kind,” said Laurie McCashland, who was in Flamm’s classes in 1982 and 1983. “She made learning fun and worthwhile, and I think that’s what people should remember her for—is that she made education fun.”
Flamm encouraged those interested in teaching to become passionate about a subject.
Her subject may have been English, but she has always been passionate about her students.
“I just love watching them understand something suddenly that they didn’t know and to get excited about literature,” Flamm said. “I get told I’m old fashioned and I am and I’m proud of it, because I want kids to know how to use the language well, I want them to know what’s correct and what’s not correct and I want them to love great literature, because that’s where the language gets used at its best.”
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)