3 Arrested In Shooting Of 22-Year-Old In West Valley City
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah – Three people have been arrested in connection to the Sunday killing of a 22-year-old man in a restaurant parking lot.
Officials found the body of Jake Gengelbach, 22, in the parking lot of Hires Big H Restaurant after they responded to a call that residents in a nearby apartment complex had heard shots fired. Shell casings were also discovered near his body.
According to West Valley City Police, Hassan al Rekabi, 18, was arrested on suspicion of felony criminal homicide and felony obstruction. Samuel Niu, 19, was arrested on suspicion of felony obstruction. The arrests happened Monday.
Two people were arrested Monday, one of them following a SWAT operation at a Sandy home, in connection with Sunday's fatal shooting at a West Valley restaurant parking lot.
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) April 30, 2019
Officials sent a SWAT team to al Rekabi’s residence Monday afternoon to serve a search warrant, according to police. As the team prepared execute the search warrant, al Rekabi reportedly left in a vehicle. Authorities pursued him to a nearby parking lot where he was taken into custody.
Niu, who was believed to be present during the shooting, was taken into custody without incident at the house.
Police on Tuesday announced a third person had also been arrested. Bryan Zumaya-Garcia, 21, was also believed to be present during the crime, according to authorities. He was arrested on suspicion of felony obstruction.
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 9542)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9110)
- Earth's inner core may have stopped turning and could go into reverse, study suggests (pageviews: 7586)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 6434)
- Man chases teens after shots fired at Taylorsville High (pageviews: 3898)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3647)