Murray Charter School Decides To Remain Open For Now Amid Financial Troubles
MURRAY, Utah — A Murray charter school decided tonight to remain open through the end of this school year.
What they didn’t decide is if they’ll continue beyond this year or close the doors for good.
The school’s board met Wednesday night amid uncertainty about even finishing out the school year.
While some are relieved there’s no immediate closure, students and faculty are left wondering what will happen after this year for now.
The school’s board has decided to keep AISU in Murray open at least through the end of this school year after finances are mismanaged. 1,300 students/150 staff still unsure about the future. We’ll have much more at 10:00 @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/gCB42MqAk1
— Ashley Moser (@AshleyMoser) May 2, 2019
AISU’s communications director Jordan King talked with KSL TV ahead of the meeting.
“We are just really fighting our best to do what’s right for our students and staff,” he said.
At issue, King said, is approximately $500,000 of funding that was mismanaged.
“The biggest chunk is some special education funds that were not properly documented,” he said.
The Utah State Charter School Board placed AISU on official warning status in December 2018 citing “concerns with the long-term financial viability” of the school and a “failure to meet academic goals.”
Just under 1,300 students attend AISU and there are approximately 150 employees, King said.
KSL TV’s Ladd Egan contributed to this report.
- Slain Enoch girl texted friend that dad was acting strange and she was worried (pageviews: 14110)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13553)
- Body found inside limestone kiln in Salt Lake City foothills (pageviews: 8491)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said (pageviews: 7883)
- BREAKING: Shots fired at Taylorsville High School (pageviews: 7144)
- BREAKING: Shots fired at Taylorsville High School - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5583)