Latter-day Saint Couples Married Civilly Now Authorized For Immediate Temple Marriage
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Monday announced an update to its marriage policy, allowing worthy couples who are married civilly to have an immediate temple marriage as well.
The previous policy required that a man and woman who received a civil marriage must wait a year to be married or sealed in a temple.
“The new policy sets a single global standard for Latter-day Saints around the world,” according to a statement issued by The Church. The Church has observed this practice for many years in more than half of the countries where the worldwide faith resides. In those countries, couples are required by law to marry civilly first.”
The faith’s First Presidency said the policy shift will allow immediate temple marriages not just for those living in areas where a licensed marriage is not permitted in the temple, but also for situations where couples want to have a civil ceremony first “… when a temple marriage would cause parents or immediate family members to feel excluded.”
The Church stated the civil ceremonies should be “simple and dignified,” and that the temple sealing should be the central focus of the marriage.
“Newly baptized Latter-day Saints will continue to wait a year from the date of their confirmation to be married in a temple,” according to The Church’s statement. “This aligns with the Church’s long-standing policy of allowing new converts to gain a greater understanding of their faith which includes learning about the sacredness of a temple and the sacraments, or ordinances, that take place in temples.”
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)