McConnell Says ‘Case Closed’ On Mueller Probe
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on Congress and the special counsel’s Russia report (all times local):
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is declaring “case closed” on the Russia probe and potential obstruction by President Donald Trump.
That’s according to an excerpt of a speech the Republican leader is expected to deliver Tuesday as the Senate opens. His remarks are being billed as his final thoughts on the subject.
McConnell is set to outline how special counsel Robert Mueller’s (MUHL’-urz) investigation went on for two years and the “exhaustive” probe is now complete. McConnell is expected to say, “It’s finally over.”
Taking their cues from Trump, Republicans in Congress are eager to push past the investigation.
McConnell is expected to question if others are ready to move on from the “breathless conspiracy theorizing?” He will suggest he doubts so.
Democrats say they want to see an unredacted version of the special counsel’s report.
The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee says he has no choice but to begin proceedings to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt of Congress.
New York Democrat Jerrold Nadler cites Barr’s failure to comply with a subpoena to provide the full text of the special counsel’s report on the Russia probe by Monday’s deadline. Nadler has scheduled a committee vote for Wednesday.
The effort to hold Barr in contempt reflects the deepening rift between Democrats and President Donald Trump’s attorney general, who is accused by Democrats of spinning the results of Mueller’s investigation to Trump’s benefit.
The committee says contempt proceedings could be postponed if Barr makes a “good faith” effort to resolve the dispute. A meeting between the Justice Department and committee staff is expected Tuesday.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 23816)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 18797)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6273)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3369)
- 4 charged in Texas semi-truck smuggling operation that left 53 migrants dead (pageviews: 3159)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3152)